Friday, November 23, 2007

Leftovers!!

So now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, I can say that we really had a good one.  I was a little sad at first, when we figured out that we would be by ourselves this year.  We have always gone somewhere, or our family has come to us.  But it really turned out to be such a great day even though we had a couple of issues to work out.  It was so fun to start our own family traditions.  And I have to learn how to pull off a thanksgiving dinner someday right?  So in a few words this is how it went:  Long run in the morning, watch parade with the boys, eat and eat, watch movies, take nap, fix Andy's Flat tire, talk with families on phone, read books. ( A BIG thanks to my smart brother Scott, who helped us fix our dead computer over the phone I love having an electric engineering major as a brother)  So despite the flat tire and the broken computer, it was a relaxing day.   
Oh and I did find some really yummy recipes for Yams and Chocolate pie.  Thanks to Lisa for the Yam recipe, and to Hershey's for the Chocolate pie.  
Now for the title, leftovers, well we have a ton!!  I really can only reheat the leftovers up maybe the day after Thanksgiving.  But I do hate to just throw the leftovers away.  
This is a recipe that can use up all of your leftover turkey.  It is a very yummy one!! 
DIVAN TURKEY (or Chicken):
-1 pkg. Frozen Broccoli pieces
-Cooked and shredded turkey (or chicken)
-1 cream of chicken soup
-1/2 c. mayonnaise
-1-2 T. lemon juice
-1 1/2 C. bread crumbs (Italian Flavored)
-3 T. butter
-1 1/2 C. grated mild cheddar cheese
**Layer broccoli in a casserole dish and semi cook in the microwave. Layer cooked and shredded turkey (or chicken) on top of broccoli. Mix soup, mayo, and lemon juice and spread over chicken.  Sprinkle cheese on top. Melt butter and mix with bread crumbs.  Spread over all.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.   I like to serve with rice**  
Don't let the Mayo in this recipe scare you, it really tastes so good.  Good luck with all of your leftovers.  I hope you all had a very Happy Thanksgiving!!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Its sad that you couldn't be around your extended family for the holiday, but it is great that you learned how to make the dinner all on your own...I still need to learn how to cook a turkey...i have avoided having to do that part of the dinner as of yet...anyways, i'm impressed. I'll have to try out that recipe the next time i have leftover chicken or turkey. Thanks!

lisa h. said...

well, you know how i feel about mayo!

glad your Thanksgiving turned out well!!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

We sure missed you guys but are so glad you guys had a great day!

Sarah said...

Jessica I'm sorry I couldn't pass on the chocolate pie recipe but it sounds like you didn't need it anyway. I'm glad that you had such a great Thanksgiving...it seems crazy that it was only last year that we were there...