Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Pioneer Spirit ! !

Tuesday Tell All for July 22nd is:

Pioneer Spirit!!

In the state of Utah July 24th is a holiday called Pioneer Day.

A pioneer is defined as
"one who is the first to do something"
, or
"one who opens up the way for others".

Using this definition, I am going to share a few of the pioneers of my family.


(this picture is my mom's family in 1978)
My Grandpa and Grandma Beyer are pioneers in our family.
When my mom was a young girl they were living in Riverside, CA.
It was there that two Missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints knocked at their door.
They were both very interested in joining the church. My Grandpa gave up his smoking and drinking so he could be baptized a member of the church.
I am very grateful for missionary work and also my grandparents for knowing that this was the right choice for them.
The choice that they made to become members of the church as made a huge impact for good for all of their children, children's children, and on.


This next picture is of my Great Grandma Wiest.
My dad's grandma.
I was very young when she passed away, and I really treasure this picture of us together.
She was an amazing women.
After her husband left her for another women,
she raised three boys all by herself in Provo, UT.
She and my grandpa (her son) worked to get the family by.
What an amazing women to work all day and to raise three very wonderful men.
I really appreciate this more, now that I have two boys of my own. It is hard enough to raise them and I have a husband that helps me so much.
She is a pioneer to me!


This last picture is my dad's graduation from dental school in Saint Louis, MS.
My parents went through dental school when I was a young girl, and my brother Scott was born during the four year schooling.
Both my mom and dad are pioneers to Andy and I.
When we feel like Medical school and now Residency is too hard, we think about them, and all that they went through during dental school.
They are always very understanding, and know how it is to live so far from family and to have not much money.
Now that Andy and I have been through Medical school, I have so much more respect for my parents and all of their sacrifices and hard work.


I am who I am today because of the pioneers in my family who have made good choices and have set great examples.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was such a sweet post jessica!

i hope you're having fun in utah!

Lisa L. said...

What a great post! It is great to think about people who are pioneers minus the covered wagons and handcarts!