Sunday, April 11, 2010

Spring Break 'Home' Vacation

We have just finished up our 9 days of Spring Break Vacation!

I really REALLY wish we could have gone on a fun trip to somewhere fun, but our only option this year was to stay home. So, in order to make it a fun one for these two boys we. . .


. . .had a 'HOME-CATION'.
Each day the boys took turns to open up a SURPRISE box for our FUN activity for the day.
Here is what we did too keep us busy (and me from going crazy with two little guys running around the house all week).


DAY 1: Grand Rapids Public Museum BIG BUGS NIGHT!




We saw the BIG BUGS, the kids loved this exhibit. A lot of hands on fun all centered around bugs. Perfect for the boys.
We also got to check out the rest of the museum.

The boys liked this pretty amazing quilt of 'The Last Supper'.

Andy and the boys went on the indoor Carousel.
We also saw a Planetarium movie and had a fun kid dinner.


Day 2: Easter Egg Hunt!

This year we joined in on the neighborhood Easter Egg hunt.


Seth was able to meet Mr. Easter Bunny and had a big hug for him too.

Isaac had fun collecting the eggs, and was nice to also help Seth with his collecting of the eggs.

Day 3: Feed the ducks at the Park and Nature Trail walk




Day 4: Picnic at the park with our friends and a MOVIE:


We had a really nice picnic with our dear friends at the park, and the kids had a great time playing and being silly!

I then took the boys to see
"How to Train Your Dragon" in 3-D
it was such a FUN movie, the boys LOVED IT!


Day 5: Public Library
We saw a puppet show, read books, and did your basic Library stuff.


Day 6: Grand Rapids Children's Museum and
a Drumming Performance by WaZoBia
(music from Haiti)


Day 7: Boys PAMPERING Day!
Hair cuts
Out to Lunch
Old Navy
I let Isaac and Seth pick out one new SUMMER outfit, with my guidance.


Day 8: Bike to a park and then went out for Hot Chocolate
(My original plans for this day was to go to a Superhero and Princess Ballet with our friends. But unfortunately the performance sold out. So we did the park thing, but it was so cold outside we had to get hot chocolate to warm us back up again. )


Day 9: Frederick Meijer Gardens & the Butterfly Exhibit

To end our fabulous Spring 'Home-cation' we went to see the butterflies at Meijer Gardens. We were able to walk through a beautiful greenhouse with Hundreds of butterflies. Here are a few pictures I took of the Butterflies:




When we finished looking at the butterflies we headed outside to the children's Garden where we all had a great time exploring and having FUN!




I hope that the kids had a Memorable Spring Break.
Even though we didn't travel anywhere, I think that we found some fun things to do in our own city of Grand Rapids.




4 comments:

Denise said...

What a great idea for a fun home-town vacation. We will probably be doing a stay at home summer vacation. I'll have make it extra special by using some of your great ideas!

Vanessa said...

you are the coolest mom ever! Looks like you guys had a great spring break. :)

Lindsey said...

I love the boxes you made for your staycation. You are so clever with all of your outing ideas - I lived there my whole life and I don't think I knew there was that much to do in good ol' GR! I think I need your guidance for SLC outings...

Maggie said...

What a great idea! I think our summer might look a little like that. With a baby coming, my kids may be playing in the backyard more often and watching more movies.